Monday, January 26, 2015

25 days, $1080, And a Bucket of Stories - Day 20

 25 days, $1080, And a Bucket of Stories - Day 20

Goal: Play in the Subway 5 hours a day, 5 days a week, for 25 days making at least 1080.00, which will cover all my bills for January.

Updated 1/20/15
Need 750
1/21/15                                   15.00
1/22/15                                   27.00
1/23/15                                   85.00
1/24/15                                   56.00
1/25/15                                   00.00
1/26/15                                   29.00
Below Goal: 94
Above Goal:
Under Hours: 14
Over Hours:
Total Days off taken
Days off this week

For Today
Goal: 50
Actual: 29
TIME: 2
WHERE: Chicago, Jackson
CD's Sold: 0
Temp: High 29, Low 28, Current 26, feels like 21 - Light Snow
Father winter is back, showing his Gnarly little head.

Today has been one of those days where you have enormous plans. Huge plans. And then they slip away from you 10 minutes at a time.
Nut however frustrating the morning was, I have something very special, and very important to show you all.
THE UKITAR

You know whats holding it together? Picture hanging velcro. 4 strips. 4.29 at Sears. It holds 16 lbs of weight. Which means I can pick the whole thing up by the Ukulele, and its solid. 

My huge plans for the day, were to leave around 1, play for 3 or 4 hours at Monroe, take a break, and head to grand or Chicago at 6 with Mo and play for another 3 hours. But its 3 PM, and I'm just leaving, which is problematic. But it is what it is. 

I can barely play the Uke right now. I know 4 chords. C, G, Am, and F. And I know about 2/3s of "Oh Sussanna" and "Hey Soul Sister". The real joy, and success of the Ukitar is not that it will undoubtedly make me more money just for having it, or that eventually, I'll be able to do really crazy, fun things like switching back and forth. No - The real awesome power of this new instrument - Is that It will force me to learn how to play the Uke, because it will be with me every day. And that's a cool cool thing. 

So I'm off. Mo and I may meet up tonight with the fellow that took that amazing photo of us at City News and shoot some video - but it also may fall through because We haven't locked down a place to do it. I'll keep you updated. 

Ryan

So the Ukitar is a hit. :)
I opened up my case at Chicago and made 9 dollars right off the bat playing Oh Susannah. Brilliant.
I now know all the lyrics to that song - See - Progress. :)

Mo and I met up at Jackson and filmed some music with Bill Motchan, the guy from City News who took that incredible photo last Saturday. He said He'd get the footage up on YouTube within the week - so I just can't wait for that.

I've started working on learning the music for my next show, Spoon River Anthology, and its all very very lovely - The kind of thing that just gets stuck in your head all day long.

I'm music directing Spoon River - Its going up at Oakton Community College in April.
Which, is something I have zero experience in. I mean none. I don't even think I've taught a single person, in my life, an entire song. But the woman who's directing it knows me and said, "You can just learn the music, and then teach it to these kids like you're in a jam session with them. Just learn the melody and a harmony or two, and sing it, and have em sing it back."

What?

But I'm going to do it. I'm about as nervous as nervous gets, because I have to convince these kids - and the musicians we hire - that I know something about music.  - Maybe not though - Maybe I just tell em all up front that its going to be a fun lil roller coaster and to keep their arms and legs inside the ride at all times for their own safty.

At any rate
Here's my first take on the first song of the show.



Thu thu thu thu thu thu Thats all folks!

Ryan 

No comments:

Post a Comment