Thursday, February 6, 2014

23 days, $1150, And One Hell of a February - DAY 1

The Final Countdown.

Goal: make 1265.00 in the month of February.
Bills: Security Deposit on new apartment 425, rent on new apartment 425, Hedgehog deposit 150, Key deposit 50, Food 80, CTA 96
Current Funds: 115.00 from Postering for Macbeth - Thank you Rachel Mayer.
Need: 1150



Day 1 of 23

Goal: 50$ by any means possible, and apply for 3 jobs
Actual: 74.00 ----Applied for no jobs. 
Time Played: 4 hours. noon to 4 at Jackson Redline
Temp: High 7, Low -4 Current wind chill, -12
Definitely a Thermal underwear day.

50$ a day in the subway for the entire month of February while I'm couch hopping a week at a time may be the most ambitious goal I've ever set. But if I don't make it, I don't have a place to stay March 1st, and a check that my one of my best friends floated for me will bounce on his account.

I can't let either of those things happen.

The progress will be recorded here. 1 post in the morning, one Edit at night to update the "Actual" portion
GAME FACE

Let the Subway Games begin.

Edit:

Today was one of those magical days. They don't happen often, but when they do, I don't fail to appreciate every little part of them. 
Goal 50.00 - Made 74.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I left at Noon, three hours late. You usually need to get there before 10 AM to get a spot, but the cold today kept the other buskers away from the Jackson Stop today and I landed it at noon. 

There's an unwritten rule at Jackson that you play in 4 hours shifts, SO I played till 4 and then ran off to finish errands, give a guitar lesson, eat some delicious sweet potatoes, and come home to Gizmo. The cat, of the woman I'm staying with this week, Julie Ritchey.



He's a fighter, that one. 

HIGHLIGHTS FROM TODAY:
Julie, a blonde woman wearing glasses that could have only been made in 1952, gave me a ten dollar Starbucks gift card. What a dear, dear woman. Such a treat all those Americanos will be. :)

This big old white guy who Definitely was all over woodstock in the 60's walked up wearing a Chicago Bears beanie, gave me a dollar, looked me in the eye and said, "I like your vibe. You got the BEAT."  Old dude's still got it. awwww yeah. 

I met Sam Raptis and David Finley who would like to be added on Facebook and recommended I look up Neutral Milk Hotel.  (and who i saw 7 hours later off the Fullerton Redline, but couldn't bring myself to say hello. It was just to magical already that I ran into em twice in one day. I just decided to keep it to myself. :) )

I SAW MY FIRST FIGHT IN THE SUBWAY. 2 dudes throwing punches, straight legged kicks, bickering at ends about something and nothing at the same time. The entire platform was laughing at them. It was like watching a fight on the playground between 7 year olds. Hilarious. 

Drunk guy walks up, he's missing at least 78 teeth, says, "You know I'm strapped!" While showing me the 5th of Vodka in his jacket. He claps along for about 2 songs, then starts singing when the train arrives, and keeps singing even after the doors close. I'm laughing, he's singing, the world is smiling. All in a days work. 

Last but NOT least - a brunette, about 20 walks up to me, drops me a five dollar bill, which is as good as gold in my profession, and says, "You know, I usually want to kill myself listening to people play down here, so, THANKS." 

So, in summary, 10$ at Starbucks, helped an old dude re-live the 60's, met two fellas who will read this tomorrow, SAW A REAL FIGHT, got a drunk dude to sing his very own song, AND I SAVED A LIFE. 

Quite the day huh?


No comments:

Post a Comment