Friday, February 7, 2014

23 days, $1150, And One Hell of a February - DAY 2


The Final Countdown.

Goal: make 1265.00 in the month of February.
Bills: Security Deposit on new apartment 425, rent on new apartment 425, Hedgehog deposit 150, Key deposit 50, Food 80, CTA 96
Current Funds: 115.00 from Postering for Macbeth - Thank you Rachel Mayer.
                         74.00 from day 1
Need: 1076



Day 2 of 23

Goal: 50$ by any means possible, and apply for 3 jobs
Actual: 78.00

TIME: 4 hours, 1-5
WHERE: Monroe Stop
Temp: High 13, Low 6 Current wind chill, -14
Still a Thermal Underwear day, but my god, 5 degrees warmer than yesterday. Hallelujah. 

(Please forgive the black background. Technology has beaten me today. Tomorrow - we will do battle. )

Bread got me out of bed this morning. Set to rise at night, ready to go in the oven at 7 AM. Thanks Organic Stone Ground 100% whole wheat loaves topped with oatmeal, brown sugar and agave nectar. Not only did you wake me up, but you'll keep my belly full all day. #perhapsthebestalarmever. 



I'm gona be about 30 minutes late for my "Be at the subway by 9:50 AM every morning goal" but I'm 2.5 hours ahead of yesterday, so I'll call that progress. 

Messes are not always messy. Some are just beautiful.  My beautiful mess is that I play guitar for a living. Who'd have thought? Certainly not me. But, that's what this song is about. Never knowing how we end up where we are, and, for the better, or the worse - we play the hand. Trick is, keeping a straight face, and drawing the Ace of Spades. 

Just another reminder that everything worth knowing in life, can be learned from the movie Mavrick. 


I wish you all the very, very best. 

Ryan 

Edit:
So many amazing things happened today. 

Everyone smiled today. Confused smiles, happy smiles, shy smiles, cute smiles, sarcastic smiles. Just smiles all around. 
Some college kids were shooting something for a film class - and I happened to be in the background. So.... I WAS IN A MOVIE TODAY. 
Also, a guy named Hakim gave me a 20 dollar bill, which, put me wildly in the clear at 78 dollars in 4 hours!!!!! yes, yes that is damn near a full day's work in 4 hours. Thanks Hakim. Makin dreams come true. 
Then I met this guy....

Oh yes. He's real. You should have seen his snakeskin shoes. Oh yeah, and the cane? That'd be a gold wolf head. Yep. 

When I asked James what he had planned for the day, he said, "Same old same old" to which I replied, "Yep. Nother day, nother dollar." I'm still amazed, and humbled, and shocked, and absolutely thrilled that people of James' extraordinary caliber exist in the world. It takes a very certain type of man to carry a wolf head cane, wear snake skin shoes, a mink coat, and ROCK it. 

SO, I don't write much down. I have 40 songs memorized in my head at any given time. Occasionally one will slip, and I wont remember it, and wont play it for months, years even. Some songs get lost. My dad's favorite song I've ever written, Train Ride, is lost. Lost in the back of my mind somewhere.  Maybe I'll remember it, maybe I wont. Occasionally, a song will come out from hiding - today was one of those days. 
I haven't played this song, in 2 years easy. And after I sang it, some guy walked onto the train humming it. 1 verse is the same, one is different, the hook is identical. I wrote it during February 2 years ago when it was 60 degrees. Funny, it would come back on a negative degree day. I literally haven't even thought of the song in 2 years, and then it pops out. Funny, how smart we are. We don't even realize it. 


And the Crem de la Crem of the day - 
A new song folks - and you get it first, here, unkempt, and uncut, just like my beard. 
Recorded today in the Subway just after I finished writing it
Cold Don't Bother me - 
Watch the volume when trains come in :)

So, looking back. I met a pimp. I wrote a song. I made 28 over my goal. I remembered a lost song and recorded it. I got a 20 dollar bill. I was in a movie. And some bloke was singing Summer Days as he got on the train. Nother hellova day. Karma will be coming around the other end soon. Hope I'm ready for it. 

To sleepland friends. Up in 6.5 hours to hit the subway again before a 2 show day.... Gona be a day. 

Ryan 





No comments:

Post a Comment