Wednesday, February 12, 2014

23 days, $1150, And One Hell of a February - DAY 7 - Broke 100.00!!!

23 days, $1150, And One Hell of a February - DAY 7

Goal: make 1265.00 in the month of February.
Bills: Security Deposit on new apartment 425, rent on new apartment 425, Hedgehog deposit 150, Key deposit 50, Food 80, CTA 96
Current Funds: 115.00 from Postering for Macbeth - Thank you Rachel Mayer.
                          74.00 from day 1
                          78.00 from day 2
                          00.00 from day 3
                          52.00 from day 4
                            1.00 from day 5
                          49.00 from day 6
                        102.00 from day 7
Need: 796

Below Goal 0.00
Above Goal: 5.00



Day 7 of 23

Goal: 100$ by any means possible, and apply for 3 jobs
Actual: 102.00
TIME: 6 hours
WHERE: Monroe, Jackson, Grand Redline
CD's Sold: 2
Temp: High 23, Low 13, feels like 7
Look at the 10 day forecast LOOK AT THE 10 DAY FORECAST. We're only moving UP in temperature from here on out! and Man! 23 degrees? Spring is totally here.

Right now there's a camera on me. I woke up with a camera hiding just around the corner to catch my ever so beautiful face RIGHT as I woke up. Josh Ritter is on Spotify, Bread has gone in the oven, and the radiator is set to full blast.
Alex Schulte, John Zuleaga - the two guys from Fourth Wall are making me feel like a celebrity today haha.

I'm pulling a double today. 2 shifts. I might explode. I might shoot off like a rocket and never return. Or, I might make 100 dollars, smile the entire way, get it all on camera, and sleep the the sleep of the overworked traveling musicians of the past.

I'm thinking about Woody Guthrie this morning. I'm thinking about the Dust Bowl. About the Great Depression. In the middle of it all, he was riding the freight trains of the West with bums and working men alike. Walking into bars with his buddy Cisco, throwing a hat down, and playing with all his might. Singing old folk melodies and making  up new words - calling them his own songs. Today I'm rolling out to the Subway with two dear friends, John and Alex, to play with all my might. To make a little supper. to spread a few smiles. - Today, like so many other days, are for you Woody.

Cheers. To rambling.

EDIT:

Let me start by saying - today was a day. A Mighty, mighty day. 
My first stop was at Monroe - 11:30ish AM. I played for about 40 minutes before I got kicked out of the stop. Along the way I made 4 dollars, John and Alex got several, several great shots and clips recorded. 
And we Met Mitch. 

Mitch walked up and said, "You sound incredible. I don't have any money, but, may I give you lunch?" What Mitch didn't know, was all I had brought for lunch today was the loaf of bread I made this morning. The man gave me HIS lunch. He didn't go and buy me a lunch, he gave me his, because he didn't have any cash, and wanted to give me something so badly. A sandwich, a  bag of Fritos, and some caramel cake. 
- I was asked today, what inspires me. - People. People like Mitch who gave me his lunch. Or the girl who very literally held her coin purse over my case, and emptied it today. These people make me want to be a better person. 

After Mitch we headed to Jackson, where, with some people chasing, and negotiating, I landed the spot from 1-5, where I played long, I played hard, and I made 50 dollars even. Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd. Guess who saw my Facebook status today and showed up carrying some Orange Juice from Trader Joe's for me?
Noel Huntzinger

Did I mention people inspiring me? COME ON! Noel took time out of her day to come down to Jackson, and listen to me play - AND SHE BROUGHT ME AN ORANGE JUICE. 
You win the prize for Best Pal of the Day Noel. 
Congratulations. Best Pal of the Day
You know what the prize is for Best Pal? Loaf of Bread. That's right. Loaf of bread. We'll be in touch to sort out the details. 

After Noel won herself a loaf of bread for being Best Pal of the Day, and my time was up at Jackson, we took an hour break, where I passed out on a chair at the mall just off the Lake stop, the ah, the Thompson Center? and then headed up town. The plan was to go to Chicago, but I had a really intense gut feeling about Grand. So we stopped there, and I played for 90 minutes and brought in 34 dollars. - Gut - you've gone and done it again. Nice work. 

16 dollars in change (I don't count the change unless I don't hit my goal, I just deposit it at the end of the week) And Alex's roommate gave me 2 dollars when we got to the apartment. See, he'd seen me months ago, and didn't have cash - and thought he'd pay his respects tonight. That makes - 102.00. 

Got back around 9:30, left at 10:30. 11 hours out, 6 hours playing. Hellova day

My voice is just about shot. Gotta do this again tomorrow. Chugging honey. Feeling like Whinny the Poo Bear. Guess there are worse plush animals to feel like. Right?

Before I go - I just want to shout out to Alex Schulte and John Zuleaga from Fourth Wall. The 5 minute documentary they're putting together on me is going to be outstanding. I could not have stayed out as long as I did today, without them there. So thanks guys. For the support - and for all the incredible footage you got. It was absolutely my pleasure today. 

Stay tuned for one of the tunes I recorded with them last night..... the most "Nora Jones" version of What's My Age Again by Blink 182 you've ever heard. When the video is done being edited, it will go up here first - and then explode all over my facebook wall. :) 

Love and Compassion. That's all we need right? Oh wait, no, we need homemade bread too. And hedgehogs named Filbert. And maybe French toast, but then we'd need eggs, milk, and cinnamon, and lets not get carried away now. 

Love and Compassion - 

Ryan 



2 comments:

  1. Do not hurt your voice! I want you in your prime for the Filament program!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. Thanks for the concern Dominick. She's a beast, and already feeling better - that old voice of mine. I'll be in tip top shape by next Saturday!

    ReplyDelete