Monday, February 17, 2014

23 days, $1150, And One Hell of a February - DAY 12

23 days, $1150, And One Hell of a February - DAY 12

Goal: make 1265.00 in the month of February.
Bills: Security Deposit on new apartment 425, rent on new apartment 425, Hedgehog deposit 150, Key deposit 50, Food 80, CTA 96
Current Funds: 115.00 from Postering for Macbeth - Thank you Rachel Mayer.
                          74.00 from day 1
                          78.00 from day 2
                          00.00 from day 3
                          52.00 from day 4
                            1.00 from day 5
                          49.00 from day 6
                        102.00 from day 7
                          50.00 from day 8
                          98.00 from day 9
                          10.00 from day 10
                          00.00 from day 11
                          36.00 from day 12
Need: 602

Below Goal 51.00
Above Goal:



Day 12 of 23

Goal: 50 dollars, pick up poster from Kev-O, present a beautiful Ryan at starbucks, and demand a job.
Actual: 36
TIME: 2 Hours
WHERE: Monroe and Grand
CD's Sold: 2
Temp: High 30, Low 18, feels like 24
We're just getting so so so so so close to "above freezing" weather.

Just mixed up some rolls for their first rise. should be out of the oven by 1. At that point I run downtown, pick up a poster from Kevo, run uptown to the starbucks in rogers park, run downtown to the subway and play for about 2 hours.

Now - I don't expect to make 50 dollars today. but I expect to make 25 in those two hours. If I get the Grand or Monroe stops between 4:30 and 6:30 - I can make that happen. I don't want to play for a whole 4 hours, because my voice is still hurting - but, I cant not play at all. 1 because I'm dying to play - and 2 - because if I get too far behind - there will be no climbing back up.

I have roughly 3 hours before I can leave the house - SO. In that time, I'll be sending out an email blast about my concert this Saturday. LINK https://www.facebook.com/events/696375063716787/?source=1 , as well as taking a shower - You know. Cleanliness. I'll be coming up with a solid set/story list for the concert. I'll be eating breakfast. Prolly leftover spaghetti. I'll be drinking 2 cups of Throat Coat. I'll be cozying up with Darla, my humidifier, and prolly playing a little bit of Diablo 2. The best PC game of all time. Thank you 1995. Thank you Blizzard.

Alright! Update tonight! With numbers! Actual numbers!!!!!

And also - as promised - Another song.
This, I'll be playing for sure. It's written about a woman, a time, and a love that was so intense, so explosive, it could be called - Volcanic. But it's not. It's called - Best Friends Do This All The Time. You'll have to come to the concert to find out why. :)

https://soundcloud.com/ryan-westwood1/best-friends-do-this-all-the


Ryan

EDIT:

Well - today was a wild - beautiful day. I went to Starbucks - through the snowstorm, and introduced myself to the manager all confident and smiles and laughs. She had me write my name and number down and said she'd be making interviews in a few weeks. So - Progress.

Then I hit the subway - And today was an especially heartwarming day. My voice is still really raw - its getting better - but it's still really raw, and I was taking it really easy today. So much so, that if not for Bernardo and Aaron - I would have only made about 8 dollars today. Because I really couldn't sing out. And that's what it takes to snap people out of their dazed commute. My voice booming out above them. I couldn't do that today - and these two fellas - They - They saved the day.

This is a text message - word for word - that I sent to myself right after the two of them got on the train -

Please forgive all the punctuation. I was emotional - and texting myself. :)

"I just wana cry right now. I've been playing for 30 minutes. 5 tips. 3 dollars. 1 dollar from Bernardo then he bought a CD, then a dude drops a huge handfull of change. Then Aaron walked up and dropped me a 20 wile i was talking about the cd and, i didn't know if he was tipping me or buying a cd so i said leme get you some change. "Dont' worry about it" He said. "I'm just so glad you're giving something back instead of just asking for money. How long have you been homeless?" I told him I wasn't homeless, but this is my day job. We got to talking about karma. I believe in it. He doesn't. He said karma is just an empty deity to make us feel better - Its people that take action - that make up the good and the bad.
They didn't know. They didn't know that my voice hurts. That I'm behind on money this week. That I really needed the cash today, and I can't give them what they deserve, which is the fullness of my voice, but I'm asking for money anyway.
People. Gooooooooooood people. you just. -you know - the thing that I'm learning the most from this - is that you never actually know what your generosity means to someone. you may think you know - you may think you have an idea. You may think its just 20 dollars, or its just a ride downtown, or its just a loaf of bread, or its just an invitation to be on a radio show, its just an offer to stay on your couch, or its just a tuppaware full of pulled pork, or its just a quesadilla at midnight, or its just a hug on a hard day, or its just a swipe of your ventra card because theirs isn't working  --------I could keep going - and going - and going. but what it boils down to, is that it is so much more than that. Generosity and compassion. People have such amazing capacity. and I am amazed by them - every day."

Thats - the longest text I've ever sent. Ever.

There's nothing in the world like placing your livelihood - your - everything - in the hands of people's generosity - Changes you. Changes me everyday.

Turns out Bernardo writes a blog - And he posted about me and my music today.
Check him out here. http://banjoandporch.wordpress.com/2014/02/17/comeback-recommendation-ryan-westwood/
Scroll down to the English if you can't read the spanish!

Night till tomorrow. Come back voice - I miss you.



No comments:

Post a Comment